How to perform the exercise
- Sit on the machine with your back flat on the pad.
- Take hold of the handles. Tip: Your upper arms should be positioned parallel to the floor; adjust the machine accordingly. This will be your starting position.
- Push the handles together slowly as you squeeze your chest in the middle. Breathe out during this part of the motion and hold the contraction for a second.
- Return back to the starting position slowly as you inhale until your chest muscles are fully stretched.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Variations: You can use pulleys or an exercise band to perform this movement. Also, there is a variety of the Pec Deck Machine where you place your forearms on the pad, with the elbow and a 90 degree angle. You then squeeze your elbows together.
- Sit on a pec deck machine with your back flat against the back rest.
- Grip the handles and make sure your arms are parallel to the floor. If not parallel,adjust the seat or handles accordingly. This is the start position.
- Exhale and slowly push the handles together squeezing your chest to the middle as you do so. Hold for a count of one.
- Inhale as you return to the starting position in a controlled movement.
- Cable Crossover.
- Dumbbell Flyes.
- Incline Barbell Bench Press.